In 2012, the Youth Outreach Service became a part of the FSSTT. This service was created to re-engage students at risk of dropping out by providing support to schools, students and families at critical points in their schooling. High school teams identify those students who are not attending school on a regular basis and for whom alternative strategies need to be explored. Thus, the FSSTT Youth Outreach Consultant works with all LBPSB high schools.
Youth Outreach Services can include:
- Working with the student and the family to develop and implement a plan to re-engage the student in school
- Collaborating with the school team to explore alternative strategies
- Acting as a liaison between the student, family and school team
- Facilitating successful transitions from one school or program, to another
- Collaborating with community partners to provide additional support services to students and their families, as required
The Youth Outreach Consultant also works in close collaboration with the Continuing Education Transition Consultant in order to ensure a successful transition for students from the Youth to the Adult sector.